With extensive knowledge of tooth development, childhood dental diseases and child psychology, our office specializes in pediatric dentistry. We take great pride in creating a positive environment for our “little patients” and thoroughly enjoy taking time to educate them on proper oral health which will benefit them for a lifetime.
Children should receive their first dental examination by the first birthday. While this may seem rather young, tooth decay can begin as soon as the first tooth emerges from the gum tissue. In addition to the examination, the first visit serves to acquaint the child with our dental office. During the initial visit, our talented pediatric dentist will gently examine the teeth and surrounding tissue. We will then clean the teeth and remove any plaque buildup. We understand that this new experience might be a little scary for your toddler so we invite the parents to be present during the exam. A key component of this first visit also includes educating the parent on tooth care and cleaning. During our consultation, we will discuss developmental patterns, proper diet and what you can do to protect your child’s young teeth and gums.
With the foresight that baby teeth will eventually fall out, many parents are lax about their child’s oral health. Although these teeth will inevitably be lost to make room for adult teeth, it is essential that they be properly cared for as they serve a number of important functions including:
- Allow for proper chewing
- Assist with speech
- Contribute to the normal development of the jaw and surrounding tissues
- Save space for adult teeth and ensure correct alignment
- Contribute to your child’s self esteem
Our dental team pays special attention to your child’s oral health from the very first baby tooth to the last adult molar to emerge. We provide the following services for our young patients:
- Preventative dentistry including routine exams and cleanings. During every check-up, we assess your child’s overall oral health and development to make sure they are on the right track.
- Sealants which serve as a type of protection for chewing surfaces. This harmless substance is often applied to the teeth in the back of the mouth to protect them from decay. Depending on the child’s oral care and diet, sealants last 3-5 years.
- Restorative dentistry including the treatment of cavities through fillings or crowns. With early treatment, further damage can be avoided and the tooth restored to good health.
- Orthodontic care which includes frequent examinations of the child’s oral development to ensure misalignment of the teeth or jaw joint. With early detection of overcrowding or bite problems, we may be able to take steps to intervene and guide the teeth into their proper place in the mouth.
- Aesthetic Treatments may be used to enhance the look of your child’s smile. Procedures such as tooth whitening are common among adolescent patients. Enhancing the attractiveness beauty of your child’s smile may work wonder in increasing their self-esteem.
Most parents agree that it’s never too early to start planning for your child’s future. It’s also never too early to start teaching them the principals of maintaining good oral health. When choosing a dentist for your child, you want to make sure it is one that they will look forward to visiting. Our office has a child-friendly environment, warm staff and technology made just for children. Give us a call today to learn more about our practice and to schedule your child’s next visit.